A Heritage of Healing
A century ago Walla Walla, Wash., was a bustling commercial
hub, serving farmers for a 75-mile radius. Wheat was king in the "valley
of many waters," and the development of a side-hill harvester in 1891 made
it possible and profitable to cultivate the gently rolling hillsides.
As more and more acreage was planted the valley's population
increased, and in the last two decades of the nineteenth century the town's
size doubled to some 10,000 people. Walla Walla's dirt streets were clogged
with farm wagons, horse-drawn buggies and hundreds of newly popular bicycles.
The first automobile — a steam-powered contraption — chugged down Main Street in
Walla Walla Sanitarium Opens
In 1876, a variation of the English term was applied to the
first Seventh-day Adventist health care institution called the Battle Creek
Sanitarium in Michigan. Within a few years it became a world-renowned health
center under the direction of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg.
In the fall of 1898, Isaac and Maggie Dunlap returned to the
Walla Walla Valley from Battle Creek. Dunlap, business manager at Walla Walla
College during its inaugural year, had left to study medicine. His four-year
training was concentrated at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, with additional
clinical experience in Chicago.
The Dunlaps opened treatment rooms in the basement of the
college, and during the first year of operation some 3,000 treatments were
given. For the first few years, the Walla Walla Sanitarium was frequently
relocated as it continued to grow.
Sanitarium and Walla Walla General Hospital Growth
In 1906 "the San" purchased the old College Place public schoolhouse,
which was then moved to the campus of Walla Walla College, hoisted on jacks,
and a new floor was added underneath, preserving the original roof line. It was
transformed into a graceful two-story sanitarium with white pillars and wide
verandas, reminiscent of the Battle Creek Sanitarium. The new institution was
dedicated on Monday, June 3, 1907.
The First Move
By 1919 the facility had been enlarged three more times. In
1931 the San moved off the WWC campus and into a bankrupt hospital building on
Bonsella Street — which has now been transformed into a dormitory on the Whitman
College campus. Although fully equipped with the latest medical technology and
space, this new facility was also remodeled and expanded for several decades to
keep up with changing medical and community needs. In 1945 it became known as
Walla Walla General Hospital.
The Second Move
It was clear by the 1970s that the current Bonsella Street
building could not be efficiently remodeled any further, so plans were drawn
for a new facility — something custom-built and ultra-modern, designed to meet
the growing demands of 20th-century medical care. Walla Walla General Hospital
officials found a perfect 18-acre site on Second Avenue, but the owners were
not interested in selling when the health care group first approached them.
After making it a matter of prayer for several days, hospital officials went back
to the owners, this time laying out all their plans for a new hospital. The
owners said they had been saving the property for just such a project.
A grand opening for the new Walla Walla General Hospital
facility was held on July 10, 1977, drawing a crowd of about 3,000. The campus
included a small family practice clinic, which grew into Blue Mountain Medical
Group and is now operated by the hospital as Adventist Health Medical Group.
The Southgate Medical Plaza was also built at the time and includes the
physician offices currently on the campus. For more than 30 years the hospital
continued to grow and expand on the Second Avenue site, more recently adding
new imaging equipment, remodeling the rehab department, building a new cardiac
catheterization lab, and expanding the clinic to include a retail pharmacy.
In Recent Years
In 2010, WWGH received $16 million in funds from Adventist
Health to expand the hospital facility and update the façade and much of the
interior spaces. A ground breaking on July 20, 2011, kicked off the project,
which included a new Emergency Center with an expansive, comfortable lobby and
twice the space for patients and staff, a brand new lobby, private registration
areas, and a gift shop. It also included a new cafeteria featuring healthy
vegetarian food options. Additional updates include a remodel of the Birth
Center, outpatient rehabilitation, and the medical/surgical unit.
The NEW Walla Walla General Hospital was completed in the
spring of 2013 with a grand re-opening in the summer of 2013.