Palliative Care takes a team approach to relieve suffering,
preserve dignity and support the best quality of life.
Palliative care is for anyone dealing with a serious illness,
at any time, regardless of diagnosis, prognosis or treatment.
Care is guided by the goals and expectations of the patient and
family and by accepted standards of health care practice and
palliative medicine. Care is focused on the whole person,
offering assistance with physical, spiritual, emotional and
cultural needs along with other appropriate care.
Palliative care professionals work together with the patient's
existing doctors, nurses and other caregivers to provide:
- Expert treatment of pain and distressing symptoms
- Guidance with determining goals of care
- Help in interpreting the benefits and burdens of treatment
- Close communication and compassionate care
- Emotional and spiritual support for the patient, family and
- Help with practical needs
- Discharge coordination