The Breastfeeding Center has experts that can help mother's with
both routine and challenging breastfeeding situations. The
Breastfeeding Center is located on the 2nd floor in the Family
Birth Place at
Adventist Medical Center.
To speak with a lactation consultant or to make an
appointment, please call 503-251-6262.
Inpatient Lactation Services
Outpatient Lactation Consultation
Consultations are private and last 30-90 minutes. Mothers may
invite their husbands or support person to attend appointments.
Consultations are available throughout all stages of
breastfeeding. Different types of visits are offered as described below.
- Weight checks - before and after breastfeeding weight
evaluation to measure appropriateness of intake and weight gain.
- Feeding evaluation to assure feeding behavior and feeding
pattern at the breast is healthy and appropriate for the infant's
- Maternal assessment to ensure that sore nipples and/or nipple
damage has not occurred. Treatment plan given for sore nipple
management if appropriate.
- Other concerns addressed such as engorgement, sleep, and
emotional state of the mother noted and addressed if needed.
- Opportunity to ask questions and receive continued support
after leaving the hospital.
- Assist in planning and preparation for moms that are
preparing to return to work.
- These visits are appropriate for moms who have been seen for
breastfeeding challenges and need continued follow-up care.
Mother-Baby Connection Group
This group meets weekly and provides helpful education and
support for new moms of babies 0-12 months of age.
- All new mothers are invited to join regardless of feeding
- Groups are facilitated by an International Board Certified
Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) who is also an experienced RN.
- The class includes information on proper nutrition for
infants. Each meeting includes a round-table discussion of
issues, concerns and joys of parenting.
- There will be a "Topic of the Week" and time allotted for
weight checks, feeding advice, trouble-shooting and socializing
with other new moms.
- Class is FREE
- See our Classes and
Events page for group date/time
A private appointment prior to baby's birth will help mothers
understand the breastfeeding process. It will also prepare
mothers for a positive breastfeeding experience, and address any
potential concerns and/or problems before they occur.
Adoption and Inducing Lactation
Mothers who decide to induce lactation in preparation to
breastfeed their adopted infants will find preparation advice,
guidance & counseling throughout this process during these